Top Stories

Halfway Through Life, Choosing to Live Fully


I grew up watching Sir Howie Severino, and I still can’t believe he is already 65 years old. In his I-Witness documentary Mountain of Youth, he shows us that age is not a barrier to living actively. His strength, courage, and determination prove that he can still do things that many younger people struggle with, like climbing mountains with a group of rock climbers. At his age, that is truly inspiring.

Sir Howie also shared something personal. He said that recently, he noticed changes in his life. Wherever he goes, whether in the office or at the gym, he often realizes that he is the oldest person there. Because of this, he searched for “champions of being senior,” people who grew old with strength and purpose, to learn how they managed to age in such an inspiring way.

In his search, he visited Benguet, a province known for having elders who remain strong and active. There, he met people who continue to farm, plant, and live close to their families and communities. Their daily lives are filled with movement, walking long distances, carrying heavy baskets of vegetables, and planting crops. This simple lifestyle, combined with fresh food and strong community ties, helps them live longer and healthier lives.

Lola Marta

One of the most remarkable elders he met was Lola Marta, who is already 101 years old. Her secret to long life is simple: she eats kamote (sweet potato) and vegetables, and she never stops moving. Planting, walking in the mountains, and living actively every day keep her strong. What amazed me most was that Lola Marta climbed her steep stairs effortlessly, something you would never expect from someone her age. For her, it was sisiw lang, as if it was nothing.

What is also remarkable is that Benguet has the highest Human Development Index (HDI) in the Philippines, even though life there is very different from the city. They don’t have malls, fast food chains, or the luxuries of urban living. Instead, their strength comes from simplicity, discipline, and connection to nature. This lifestyle is very similar to what researchers call Blue Zones, places in the world where people live the longest and healthiest lives. Examples include Okinawa in Japan, Sardinia in Italy, and Nicoya in Costa Rica. In these communities, people share common habits: eating mostly plant-based food, staying physically active every day, having strong family and social ties, and living with purpose. Benguet, with elders like Lola Marta, reflects many of these same qualities.

Learning that the average life expectancy of Filipinos today is about 70 years made me realize something important, that I may have lived almost half of it. This thought is both sobering and motivating. It reminds me that time is precious, and I must use the years I have left wisely.

Watching this documentary made me reflect deeply on my own journey. Like Howie, I also want to do the things I dream of before I reach an age where my body can no longer keep up. Life is short, and time passes quickly. I want to chase my passions while I still have the strength. I want to experience adventures, create meaningful work, and spend time with people I love. I don’t want to wait until it’s too late to live fully.

We all want to live longer in this world, to experience the best life, to achieve the successes we dream of, and to be happy. But more than that, I also want to make the people around me happy, because true joy is not only about personal achievement but also about sharing it with others. And maybe I should start eating kamote from now on, just like Lola Marta, because her simple secret shows that natural food and constant movement can truly make a difference in living a long and meaningful life.

Siguro tama nga na you will feel young whenever you choose to feel it. Age is not only about numbers, but about how you live, how you move, and how you see yourself.

Mountain of Youth is more than a documentary. It is a lesson about strength, discipline, and living with purpose. Howie Severino, at 65, shows us that youth is not just about age but about mindset. The elders of Benguet, especially Lola Marta at 101, show us that survival, simplicity, and a diet of kamote and vegetables can lead to long life. Her ability to climb steep stairs with ease proves that resilience and daily movement keep the body strong. And the fact that Benguet has the highest HDI despite lacking city luxuries proves that true development is about health, resilience, and community.

For me, it is a reminder to act now, to live now, to be happy, and to spread happiness, because tomorrow is never promised.

You can watch the i-Witness Episode here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrfC4o8bzaQ

No comments

What do you think of this post? Please leave a comment.