Top Stories

Our Duty to Care for Our Aging Parents

I came across my Facebook newsfeed tonight and read that the mother of Senator Raffy Tulfo had passed away. He acknowledged that he and his siblings owe everything to her, emphasizing that their hard work was driven by the desire to give her the life she deserved. 

As we go through life, we often wonder if it’s our duty to take care of our parents when they get old. This question is very personal and can bring out many feelings and opinions. For many, including myself, the answer is simple: it is not just a duty but a heartfelt responsibility born out of love and gratitude.

Some people say that parents should have saved for their retirement and that children should focus on their own lives. However, for me, the thought of my parents struggling while I enjoy a comfortable life is unimaginable.

I dream of a future where my parents can enjoy the fruits of our hard work, experiencing the comfort and joy they deserve. I want them to witness and enjoy the good life one day.

My siblings and I sometimes have many things we want to do and our own worlds we want to build, so sometimes we forget about our parents. But we always return to our promise that we are doing this because we want our parents to experience the life they never had before.

We have decided to make sure our parents no longer need to work. We want them to focus on their health and well-being, free from the worries of money. Despite our efforts, I sometimes feel we have not yet given them the life we dream of for them. This feeling drives us to work even harder, hoping that one day they will live the life they truly deserve.

Caring for our parents is more than just what society expects; it is a moral duty rooted in love and respect. Our parents have given us so much, and it is only right that we give back to them in their time of need. This responsibility is not a burden but a privilege, an opportunity to show our gratitude and honor their sacrifices.

I love my parents very much and I pray to God that they live longer so I can spend more time with them. It may seem unfair, but I really don’t want to see them leave this world, especially since my siblings and I still have dreams for our family.

I still remember what Miss Catering said on her TikTok video: “If my dream comes true but my mother is no longer here, it’s better that the dream doesn’t come true at all. Achieving it would be meaningless without her, as it was all for her.”  It reminds us that our dreams often feel empty if we can’t share them with the people we love. For many of us, our parents are a big part of why we work hard and dream big. 

I know some of you have had bad experiences and memories with your parents, which might have been very hard during your childhood. These experiences can leave deep wounds and change how you see your relationship with them. It’s important to recognize these feelings and understand that everyone’s relationship with their parents is different. Healing from these experiences takes time and kindness, both for yourself and for your parents.

Our parents are not perfect. They have their flaws and have made mistakes, but that should not be a reason to treat them poorly. They are still our parents. We should not wait until they are no longer with us to show them the importance they hold in our lives.

The question of whether it is our duty to help our parents when they get old is deeply personal. For those of us who cherish our parents and dream of giving them a good life, the answer is clear. It is our duty, born out of love and gratitude, to ensure they live their later years in comfort and happiness. While society may have different views, the bond between parent and child goes beyond these debates, reminding us of the profound impact our parents have had on our lives and the joy of giving back to them.

No comments

What do you think of this post? Please leave a comment.