Top Stories

From Summa Cum Laude to GRO: The Harsh Realities of Family Pressure

I had some time to watch ‘Maalaala Mo Kaya’ on YouTube today, and I saw the episode ‘Blusa,’ which was first aired in 2009. Watching this episode was a deeply moving experience for me. The story of a UP Los Baños summa cum laude in BS Agribusiness Management who found herself working as a Guest Relations Officer (GRO) resonated with me on many levels.

The episode follows the life of Nemie, played by Angel Locsin, a brilliant student who graduates summa cum laude from UP Los Baños. The episode poignantly illustrates how family pressure can profoundly affect an individual’s life, leading to desperate decisions and significant personal sacrifices. Despite her academic achievements, she faces numerous challenges in finding a job. Her journey takes a difficult turn when she ends up working as a club dancer to make ends meet. When she comes back home after three months, she discovers that her father has passed away and is already buried. This tragic ending highlights the immense pressure Nemie faced from her family and society, which ultimately led to her mental breakdown. She ends up living on the streets, struggling with her sanity.

The story also highlights the sacrifices made by her sister, Nympha, played by Dimples Romana, who supports Nemie through thick and thin. Nemie’s struggles with societal judgment, financial hardships, and personal loss are poignantly portrayed, culminating in a heart-wrenching yet inspiring narrative.


Nemies’s journey of facing unexpected challenges despite her academic achievements reminded me of my own struggles. Like her, I have faced moments where life took an unexpected turn, and I had to adapt to circumstances that were far from what I had envisioned. The episode highlighted the resilience and strength required to navigate such situations, which is something I have also had to muster in my own life.

One particular aspect that struck me was the societal judgment and stigma the protagonist faced. This mirrors my own experiences of feeling judged for the choices I had to make under difficult circumstances. It was a poignant reminder that our worth is not defined by our job titles or societal expectations, but by our character and perseverance.

The episode also emphasized the importance of self-acceptance and finding dignity in whatever path we take. This is a lesson I have learned over time – to embrace my journey, no matter how unconventional it may seem, and to find pride in my resilience and adaptability.

As for whether the story is far from reality, “Blusa” is actually based on real-life events. The episode reflects the true story of Honey Grace Villarico. Some people might find Nemie’s story in this episode hard to believe because it challenges common perceptions about the employability of graduates from prestigious universities like UP Los Baños (UPLB). Nemie’s story, reflects the harsh realities that some graduates face despite their qualifications. It serves as a reminder that academic success does not always guarantee immediate employment, and various factors can influence one’s career path.

Overall, “Blusa” was not just a story on screen for me; it was a reflection of my own life’s challenges and triumphs. It reinforced my belief in the power of perseverance and the importance of staying true to oneself, even in the face of adversity.

You can watch the full episode on Youtube

No comments

What do you think of this post? Please leave a comment.